i am bruxism It is the teeth clenching behavior that we often do without realizing it. It is also known as teeth grinding. Physical Therapy and Rehabilitation Specialist Assist. Assoc. Dr. Gamze Şenbursa, for Pudra.com readers teeth clenching and grinding problemHe explained the reasons, the incidence rates in women and men, and the treatment procedures against teeth grinding.
The problem of clenching, which we often do without realizing it, is manifested by problems such as waking up with tooth and jaw pain, deformities in the jaw and teeth, and deterioration of sleep quality, especially in the morning. Teeth grinding and clenching problems, which are more common especially at young ages, decrease in frequency as age progresses. Physical Therapy and Rehabilitation Specialist Assist. Assoc. Dr. Gamze Senbursa, gave the following information to the editors of Pudra.com about the diagnosis and treatment procedures of teeth clenching and grinding:
teeth clenching problem It is seen equally in men and women. When age is involved, the incidence is higher in younger individuals. Teeth clenching and grinding problems are less common with age.
Let’s take a look at the other ratios:
- The risk of clenching and grinding problems in individuals with jaw joint disease ranges from 26% to 66%.
- External grinding and clenching problems are seen 5 times more in smokers than in non-smokers.
Factors causing bruxism
- Anatomical disorders in the chin and face
- Dental bonding and incorrect dental treatments that are not in harmony with the teeth in the opposite jaw
- Anxiety, tension or tension
- Sleep apnea syndrome and sleep disorder
- Disorders resulting from trauma may occur due to smoking and alcohol addiction.
- Psychological problems
How to identify teeth clenching and grinding?
- Waking up tired in the morning
- Jaw pain after waking up, feeling pain in the head and neck region
- Teeth marks on the tongue
- Minor breaks in teeth
- Flattening of tooth surfaces
- Stiffness that is palpable when the muscles in the jaw area are touched
- Discomfort in the jaw area or noise from the jaw joint when chewing something
- The chin-cheek region begins to take on a square image (like a male face image)
- Hardening of the superficial tissue compared to other tissues in the areas where the jaw muscles are located, a decrease in the mobile tissue feature
Treatment methods for teeth clenching and grinding
- Use of night plate
- Botox technique applied to the muscles
- Orthodontic treatment approaches
- psychological treatment
- manual therapy